Tuesday 2 August 2011

Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

Well we had a busy weekend. On Saturday we had decided to go to Yorkshire Sculpture Park We've never been before but after seeing some pictures that a friend had taken & also discovering that there was a Jaume Plensa exhibition on we decided to go.
Saturday was a lovely day, although it did get rather hot as the day went on. We left later than planned & took a picnic with us.  By the time we got there it was lunchtime so we sat down & had our picnic. Once that was over we grabbed our map & went off exploring the park.
It is massive! So much to see. Lots of Henry Moore. The kids had some activity sheets that the lady in the shop had given them- it was like a little treasure hunt. We enjoyed listening to the kids deciding what each sculpture was. One was everything from an ear to a boat!
My favourite part was the Jaume Plensa sculptures. I just love his stuff. He did a sculpture in St.Helens, entitled 'Dream'  It is commonly known as 'the big head' in our house & is a sign that we're almost at Nana & Grandpa's house. The kids loved it. Nathaniel especially loved 29 Palms.

They were all metal letters which you could run your palms along & it made the most beautiful sound, like wind chimes. Anybody who knows me will know I love wind chimes- the sound reminds me of my childhood & visiting my Grandparents on Bowen Island- I guess they had wind chimes!
I think my favourite sculpture of all was called Urma-Nuria.  It was just gorgeous & looked lovely with the backdrop of the Yorkshire hills behind it. 
We had a lovely day, lots of walking but worth it. I'd love to go back again. The kids seemed to enjoy it to. There was so much to see & I'm sure that there was stuff that we missed. It was only an hour's drive 
& such beautiful countryside. 
Today is not such a nice day. We've had rain overnight & this morning but it seems to have gone off  now so maybe we'll go for a walk later. We have a little 'woods' close by & I have a camera to test out! We're planning on getting a digital SLR camera so are testing one out which has been borrowed.  

No comments: